Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rogers Throttling breaks VPN connection

I was experiencing that my connection to a UK VPN was disconnecting when I was running BitTorrent at the same time (on another computer to the VPN'd machine)

A VPN should not be used for torrrenting unless agreed to by the VPN provider


When I perform a SpeedTest (using DSLReports) the upload speed is often flagged with a message that there was upload compression detected from my ISP and that the upload figures may be inaccurate.

The theory about the VPN dropping is that the "handshake" between my computer and the VPN server cannot be maintained due to the upload compression. The download speed is still adequate for streaming of BBC iPlayer.

Plese note that this post was made May 2009 - now in April 2012 Rogers do not seem to have any of the problems I was seeing then.

Some search strings finding this page:

"vpn connection" rogers dropping
rogers "upload compression" vpn

Links related to file sharing:

2 comments:

Newmarket said...

rogers throttling vpn

Toronto said...

can btguard defeat rogers throttling

No - I don't think so

This post is about the reverse - Rogers throttling breaking the VPN.
The throttling causing the VPN connection to stall or drop. The VPN discussed here is NOT the BTGuard VPN either.