Thursday, September 10, 2009

Windows 7 on an eeePC 900HD

This post is my original notes from 2009 when I attempted to install Windows 7 on a eeePC 900HD

UPDATE June 2010 - It is pretty certain if I tried it now then it would be successful.
I have installed Windows 7 on multiple Netbooks since the time that this post was first made.
The key is to ignore the Upgrade Adviser and install regardless. Windows 7 performs perfectly on a Netbook with the eeePC 900HD's processor and 1G of RAM



Original Post:
I tried, but the Win 7RC setup balked at the fact that it had a processor that was only 900MHz. There was another cryptic message about backup up and doing a custom install. I tried the install couple of ways - running the setup from a USB DVD drive and by booting from that drive.

I ran the Windows 7 upgrade Adviser and that told me what I already knew, the minimum processor speed was 1GHz.

There are posts on the Internet, mostly very blurry YouTube uploads (I am sure that you have seen them - if you are reading this!), claiming that it has been done. I don't doubt that, but all I can say it is not that easy - although there was quite a lengthy tutorial on how to install from a boot-able memory stick (most of which revolved around the preparation of the stick).

Still the 900HDB-BLK002X was only bought to see if could be done. It does support the 1024 by 768 resolution however, which is better than the competing models at the time.

There is talk of a Windows 7 specially optimised for Netbooks, but I guess we will have to wait until the O/S gets released on the 22nd of October - we might even see Windows 7 being sold on new Netbooks.



Update June 2012 - It is highly likely that the 900HD would have difficulty in displaying the full resolution as do some of the current (2012) Netbook and Notebook models with similar problems in obtaining the VGA drivers.

I also may have been incorrect in stating that the 900HD was capable of 1024 by 768 resolution as the WikiP page that all these earlier Asus eeePCs were only 1024 by 600. However, the WikiP page also states categorically that none of them will run Windows 7 (I don't believe this to be the case)

Links:

2 comments:

UK Musings said...

UPDATE:

Apparently installation of Windows 7 on the eeePC 900HD can be done.

My attempt was using the RC (Release Candidate) download - in hindsight I feel that the image I downloaded may have been corrupted. I have had communication with a visitor that had installed Windows 7 RTM and also Microsoft Office 2007 - the performance of all of this software was perfectly accaptable.

Quang Ngai Vietnam said...

windows 7 on eeepc 900hd