Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Scroogle

How to search the Internet and not let Google know what you are searching for and where located.

    As you can see below it does not stop anyone seeing your IP address and what you are searching for.

There is an entry on WikiP for Scroogle - they (whoever made the entry) are not that impressed with them either!

I use Google Analytics, but not for the sinister goals that Scroogle are trying to circumvent. I do see where they are going with their thoughts, however.

While the visits are somewhat anonymous when a visitor arrives on this site an entry appears in my server log:

216.26.214.81 - - [19/Nov/2007:13:50:08 -0500] "GET /nov_exp.html HTTP/1.1"  200 20098              ____/ /www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi"  "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U;  Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9) Gecko/20071111 Firefox/2.0.0.9"

The fact that the visitor was a Linux user and they visited the nov_exp page tells me what I need to know about the visitor. The content of the page nov_exp is likely to be concerned with XP drivers for a wireless notebook.


Actually, Scroogle was probably the Linux user. The IP was probably not the originator of the search but, nevertheless, the visit was registered.


This was the first time that the string: "www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi" was seen


The "scrapper" is available to webmasters - but there may be a little bit of hypocrisy going on here?

 One of the benefits is that you can ensure that your employer cannot track your Internet searches as the search string is masked by the browser extension. Which, presumably has to be installed on the browsers computer. (April 2011 - not sure what I meant here when I first wrote this page - Nov 2007)

The way that it is approached it is if there is something really sinister with the way that Google collect information and what their intentions are. The fact that cookies are set - something the majority of websites do - and information is gathered - such as the users IP and the search string (keywords). This information doesn't have to be used for nefarious means. In fact it can be used to make your surfing experience better.

I am a totally commercial-free website - I use Google Analytics to track visits to this site. I know what I can and can't do with the information that Google collects for me. In fact, I would be surprised if they are even interested in the information that I monitor. As far as a Machiavellian plat with big business is concerned - I consider it a nonsense.

I do not use Adsense, in fact I think that it is a waste of time! The fact that Scroogle post such as the shot below is an indication that they are clueless.


If you wanted to stop Google tracking you, yes, you could turn off JavaScript but that would not stop the Adsense ads from polluting your screen.

No comments: