Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Securable Steve Gibson Update

Having reviewed my website pages on Shields-Up and revisited the GRC website it prompted me to make this post.

I try and keep my content relevant and up-to-date, it would seem that most of what you will find on Steve's site (Jan 2011 - dated 2010) relates to the XP/NT world and not really relevant to the Windows 7/Linux/OSX world of today.

If you are still running XP (and I am on some of my computers) you are probably well aware of the shortcomings of the earlier versions of Windows and have learnt how to live with them.

I would say it is time for him to freshen up his site and bring it into the new millennium. The content is paranoia personified - I know that I have port 80 open - I run a website from my basement! I don't need his outdated programs to tell me that I "fail" the security tests on his site

What is it that he is trying to sell?

I have an issue with Securable's ability to inform you that your computer can run Windows 7 XP-Mode.

I also have issues of my own with the implementation of DEP - but I do not subscribe to the perpetuation of FUD.

1 comment:

Palm Coast said...

why does shields up show "port 80" as open

Maybe because it is???!