Friday, April 29, 2011

Silence in the popular Tech press about SP1 and Piracy

Any mention that there is a problem with Windows updates seems to be a place where nobody wants to go.
If there is a connection to pirated versions of Windows 7, who knows?

I am not saying there is a connection, but there is no denial that there is.

So far there are at least 5 Windows updates that have failed (on some, unspecified computers) in the last few days.
It would be good if there are others that can confirm whether this is just a problem with SP1 or one that is related to piracy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with 3 failed updates KB2506928,2492386,982018
Clicking on more info gives the option to launch the windows update repair tool. this fixed the problem
I have 5 win 7 pc's only this one was
a problem, this is a fully licensed
version
Odd that the pirate version on 2 others was not affected

UK Musings said...

Thanks for the feedback.

I am sure that this is going to get worse. Of all my Windows 7 PCs (only one of which has a legit license) only the 2 two that have SP1 installed have had problems.

The PC with the purchased copy of Windows has not been updated to Service Pack 1 and I was waiting to see if there were other reports of users having problems with fully licensed copies. It would seem that Microsoft are experiencing problems across the board.

In some ways I am pleased that this seems NOT to be an issue with "bootleg" copies of Windows but it doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence going forward.

Also it is good to hear that the "update repair tool" fixes the problem - I didn't have to use it and applied the updates manually.

I am waiting for this weeks round of updates to be pushed. In the meantime I have turned off automatic updates on the laptop my spouse is using while she is away.