Thursday, April 28, 2011

Windows 7 freezes on 0% applying updates on boot

The updates that are described in KB2506928, KB2492386 and KB982018 fail on Automatic Updates and are changes to that point are reverted back.

When the machine finally starts the updates will show as "failed" on the Update History. The next time the computer is started you will experience the same prolonged wait until the updates fail and get rolled back.

I have installed these updates manually by visiting the appropriate Microsoft pages for the KBs and now my computer starts as it did before without the wait.

I described solutions for these problems this on my website, these are re-posted on this blog.

The symptom is that the computer takes 3 to 5 mins to boot (start-up) unless these updates are either applied or blocked.

Links to posts relating to this problem on this blog:

3 comments:

Kvinesdal said...

windows 7 update pc hangs april 2011

Isle of Man said...

How do I get Windows 7 to boot and skip the updates?

I am concerned that my activation will break if I allow them to proceed. My computer is currently showing that the copy of Windows is genuine and I have seen people reporting that their copies have been indicating that the copy of Windows in not-genuine after some of the Windows Updates are installed.

This seems to be prevalent when SP1 is allowed to install itself.

How can I permanently block all updates? I am willing to take the risk of missing an update as my computer is running just fine. Am I being naive here?

Auckland said...

windows 7 freezes after update 2012