Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The value of review websites

An email exchange with the perpetrator of torrent-privacy.com has led me to make this observation. "What is the value of a website that only seems to exist to attract traffic to itself without any intrinsic value of its own?"

This is of course my own view, it is wondered whether this is shared by others? The site in question seems to capitalize on the fact that many are dubious about the operation of sites such as torrentprivacy.com and whether they are scams.
I postulated that torrent-review.com was a scam as I had a visitor to my site that claimed that their credit card details were compromised when they signed-up for the torrentprivacy service.

Due to the nature of the communication with this visitor, who seemed to imply that I had something to do with the deception, I could only speculate that he had joined torrentprivacy via a site such as torrent-review.com.
I had no proof of this and I based my hypothesis on the fact that the torrent-review.com website showed every sign of a website that was capable of this type of deception.

In my communications with the supposed owner of the torrent-review.com website he accused me of lying about the fact he was engaged in a phishing scheme and that he was stealing peoples credit card details.

The purpose of this post is to set the record straight and to allow others to comment on their experiences with the torrent-review.com website.

I qualify my assertion that the torrent-review.com brings little to the table in that the information, while being largely correct, is nothing you cannot find elsewhere on the Internet (including the torrentprivacy.com website).

The sensationalist and scare tactics of the copy are aimed squarely at those searching for information on whether torrentprivacy is a scam.

In my opinion is is not a scam, but I could be wrong and I am not trying to get you to sign-up, I am a torrentprivacy.com user.

Whereas, this topic is of low importance to me, the fact that I have posted on this in the past has led to me making a follow-up.

I would also welcome feedback on other review websites as torrent-review.com is not alone in this sort of nonsense, it was just the one that got me to post in detail.
IMO most of the review sites are little more than shills.

No comments: