Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ultrabook Myth

The term "Ultrabook" is trademarked by Intel.

This means that manufacturers cannot offer Sub Notebook computers with AMD processors and call them "Ultrabooks".

This means there is also no point in manufacturers putting anything more powerful than the AMD "e" series dual-core APUs in computers that are in this segment. This is a pity as there are a number of models, The Asus eeePC 1255B for example, that are selling at half the price that the Intel powered computers are being sold at.

The fact that there is a myth that you NEED the computing power that the Intel chip gives you is largely not true for most users. True, AMD could put more powerful processors in hardware to compete with the Intel powered "Ultrabooks" , but they cannot call them an "Ultrabook" as that would be a trademark infraction.

Well done Intel!

If you are looking for an alternative to an expensive Ultrabook take a look at the AMD powered Sub-Notebooks by Asus, HP, Sony and Lenovo (to mention just a few). I currently use an AMD powered notebook with a "c" series dual-core and that serves me pretty well. I would like to have some more power but I can't justify the price-tag of around $1,000 (depending on model - plus and minus a few hundred) for an Intel powered device.

The Intel powered computers are damned sexy, but are they worth twice the price?

If you think you need the power. Well I use my non-Intel to do all the things that I would do if I had an Ultrabook, run Microsoft Office, compose webpages and administer my website, download movies and TV from Bittorrent and even do my tax returns on it. Sure, it is not a power-house and it would be a little slow to play games or to watch downloaded movies, but that is what desktop media-centres are for.

2 comments:

Perth said...

Can Ultrabooks run BitTorrrent?

UK Musings said...

I run bittorrent on a Netbook, so I would think an Ultrabook would be just fine.

It is not the speed or power of the computer that determines how torrents download, it is more to do with how you connect and the connection speed of that connection, direct or through some sort of proxy.