Saturday, March 31, 2012

Using Asus Digi+ VRM

Whereas the product-brief for Digi+ VRM promises great things, in practice, it is difficult to see if this is the case.

These are my notes and findings relating to Digi+ and VRM


Having a quick look at it in the flesh and trying to make sense of the on-screen messages I thought it was an idea to take a real look at the article on techinstyle.tv "How to tweak DIGI+ VRM on P8P67 Series motherboard".

It does make a little more sense and if they say what is going on it is probably a beneficial thing to have on the motherboard if you are attempting to overclock. I still question the motives of doing this as I think that it a "climbing Everest" activity. If you are not overclocking it is probably not necessary.
I seem to be able to clock the i7-2600k at a conservative 4GHz, it sounds like it could be pushed a lot further but I am still getting better WEI scores that I do from my AMD X6 (not that the WEI scores are known to be worth much). The proof of the pudding will be in the way that video encoding works in comparison, However, I do have a pretty powerful machine to do just that.

The article takes lot of words to basically say you are probably better off with setting the VRM to "Auto" - but I guess that giving the user to adjust the settings manually is a good USP for Asus. And, in circumstances where you are having problems with stability it may work well for you.
Sadly, the level at which the participants in the discussion seem to exist are from those that don't even understand Intel SpeedStep and are also bemused by the readings they get from CPU-Z. This is even after clunk.org state this quite clearly in their beginners guide.

On balance, it is probably worthwhile having this extra processor on the motherboard. However, if the computer was only going to be used for media rendering and other normal activities it is probably overkill. In my case I was experimenting to see what it was all about.

I originally purchased the Asus P8P67 LE m/b, whereas this has the Dual Intelligent Processors for EPU (EnergyProcessing Unit) and the TPU (TurboV Processing Unit) it did not feature the Digi+ VRM processor (hence the absence of the extra heat sink)

The adjustment of the digi+ VRM load Line Calibration 

 Links:

2 comments:

Chiyoda said...

What does the statement:

"Thermal conditions should be monitored." mean?

How are supposed to do this? Surely this is something that you should do as a matter of course. Making changes to the settings of the Digi VRM+ should not necessarily mean that the thermal conditions of your computer should degenerate.

Christchurch said...

I really do think that Asus are using this just as a marketing tool! It got me to buy into their motherboards!

I do, however, believe that the Asus boards with this technology are somewhat superior to the Gigabyte and MSI m/bs - at least it is an indication that there are designers out there that try and address the operation of today's advanced components.