Thursday, March 1, 2012

Using a Raspberry Pi as a media server

The posts on this blog started out life as pointers to the work that I was publishing on my website. Since the announcement of the RPi I have had to temporarily shut down my website and I am in the process of re-posting the content on this blog.

My original idea was to replace the Debian Linux controller in the D-Link Network attached Storage unit with a Raspberry Pi with the aim of being able to have more control on the copying of terrabytes of data to the 2 * 2T drives.
I have started an index to all the pages relating to the Raspberry Pie on this blog (Link). I suspect that the visits to this page are more from those that are trying to locate a place to buy a Raspberry Pie computer rather than how to use it.



 
My installation of the RPi:
The housing for the Pi Media Server

The plan is to replace the controller in the D-Link DNS 323 Network Attached Storage with a Raspberry Pi. The housing has capacity for 2 3.5" SATA drives - at the moment 2 * 2T Byte drives are being used for a total of 4TB.

The attempt of installing Fun Plug on the DND-323 was not successful and the set-up of a Samba share on the Debian Linux, native to the D-Link device, was not made.

Using the Raspberry Pi with Fedora ARM it should be possible to create Samba shares in a flexible manner.

All I need to do then is to work out a way to transfer 4T of data from my "Windows" NTFS drives to "Linux" ext3/ext4 ones.

SATA 6 would be nice.


  • Systems Pages on the Technology Muse 
  • Intel's NUC and the Raspberry Pie 
  • Linux pages

2 comments:

HuW said...

I am really interested to hear how you got on with this project.

Also I would like to know what others have done with their RPis, if they have received them yet.

Please post your findings so that we all can get a better idea of how the Pi project is coming on.

By the way, how do I find your website that you refer?

Anonymous said...

Hi there friends, good article and good urging
commented at this place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.
Also visit my webpage - kindle book store