Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Babylon Search and Toolbar

This is a particularly pugnacious piece of software that is all too easy to install by mistake and somewhat difficult to purge from your computer.

In my case it was installed on a rebuilt system where I was configuring a new copy of Adobe Flash Player. While this seems to be a procedure that would be fairly safe, it did not prove to be the case!

I was going to rant about Adobe and the companies that offer Flash Player for download, however, they seem to be no different from many of the others that I have taken aim. This post is about the methods I had to use to get rid of it from I.E.

As this was a new/fresh install of Windows and I.E. I knew exactly what I had install and where I had been on the Internet. Being the suspicious type I was surprised to see that the Babylon ToolBar and the Babylon Search attached to I.E. 9.

Searching on-line and watching some rather ponderous You Tubes, why can't people who make these say what they need in a few seconds - why do the videos have to go on --- and on --- and on?

Bottom line, not only do you have to uninstall the Babylon software, using the normal Windows method (not from within I.E. - Programs and Features) but you have to reset your home page and the default search provider (this is within I.E.). Now how long did that take to explain?

Links:

1 comment:

Igor said...

I am not sure what you mean by "blog spam"