Monday, April 16, 2012

Torbutton Firefox 11

TorButton does not work with Firefox versions 11 and newer. The last, and current version of the Tor software has a version 10 as its browser. The functionality and the benefits of being able to toggle Tor is discussed at great length on the Vidalia website. You do not need TorButton to use Tor for anonymity - you can use Tor with any version of Firefox including 11.




Torbutton did not work with Firefox 4 when I tried it. I am currently running Firefox 11 on my computers.

When you download the Tor package from the Onion Project you will get an option of the "secure browser" or components from the Vidalia suite. I download both.

The "Secure Browser" package installs itself with a version of Firefox that is pre-configured with TorButton. The version of Firefox that I downloaded with this package is an earlier version to version 11, although Vidalia say that there is a newer version available.

I did download the Tor module on its own and I configured it for use with Firefox, I was not sure what version of Firefox was at the time but Tor definitely worked with it as I was able to configure the torrc file so that it looked as if I was in India. I did this so that I could get the local pricing of leather goods on an Indian website. Visiting the website in question from Canada did not give me prices in Rupees.

I am currently using Firefox 13 for my main browser and FF 10 when I use Tor. This is not because I cannot configure Tor to use with version 13 it is just a lot easier to go with the software as downloaded from Vidalia Tor "as is" than to struggle with a fresh copy. I can even get Tor to exit in the country of my choosing by the editing of torrc.



More posts on this blog relating to Tor and TorButton:
Also search the blog for others

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaining that you don't need to use TorButton to become anonymous.

I found the discussion on the Vidalia website most helpful and it seems that the facility to be able to toggle the use of Tor to be of secondary value in any case.

Your post on how to configure Tor to exit in a country of your choice was also most helpful.

London said...

how can i enable tor in firefox 11

You can use Vidalai/Tor in Firefox 11 by performing the install of the Vidalia package (Not the browser package as this will contain an earlier version of Tor). You then configure the Network settings for Firefox to use Tor.

I have covered how to do this on this blog and my website tempusfugit.ca

You can search this blog for "tor" for more details.