Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Using Google Analytics with Blogger

During the time that I have been using Google Analytics I have found it to be very useful as a web administration tool.

When used with a traditional website hosted on a server, such as Apache, combined with the analysis of visitor logs, it gives a pretty comprehensive suite of tools to enable the crafting of content.

Never-the-less, Google Anlaytics can be used on its own as a powerful tool. You do not see the exact query string as seen in the visitor logs but you do see the conversions of the IP address into location and you also see the search string and other information relating to a visit.

Due to the fact that I am rebuilding my website in the Blogger format, the use GA is now very important to me. I no longer have access to the actual server logs but the analysis using GA gives me enough to see where the visits are from and what people are looking for.

I am in the process of rebuilding an internal link structure for the blog in a similar way that that I used in the website. One of the major things that I found with the blog as it was, was that visitors would not "click-on" to other pages after finding my posts. This was why I started to use the website, privately hosted, as I had far more control over the presentation. Subsequently to my initial forays into using Blogger I now find that the privately hosted website is too vulnerable to attack. These attacks have taken many forms and I have decided to let Google be my defense against such attacks.

1 comment:

Florence said...

muse using google analytics