Monday, April 9, 2012

Windows Activation - a recap

These are some of my observations on the effects of Windows Updates on the Daz Windows Loader.

My original page was prompted by an article by ED Bott,  ZDNet  "Confessions of a Windows 7 pirate" - March 3, 2010.

Here Ed discussed the various techniques used to overcome the activation and anti-piracy techniques used by Microsoft.


Quote from Ed Bott's article:

"Back in 2007, I wrote about a firsthand experience with a PC repair tech  for a major national chain who used a pirated copy of Windows  to "repair"  my friend's PC."

"In that case, I was able to spot the unauthorized copy quickly and help my friend undo the damage (and get his money back from the crooked tech). If that were to happen today, the tech might be lucky enough to get away with the deception for a few months, but he would eventually be caught out."

How? The 2007 story was about XP and that uses a completely different method of activation.

To me it seems pretty unlikely that a copy of Windows 7 so activated will be detected. ALL updates and authentication checks proceed as if the copy of Windows was installed on an OEM computer.

The statement in Ed's article is obviously FUD and put there to give a warning to those that might consider doing what he was describing and not know what they are doing ending up infecting their computer.

Some previous pages:
General links:

And many more pages on www.tempusfugit.ca

2 comments:

Tel |Aviv said...

Am I going to be able to do the same thing when Windows 8 is released?

UK Musings said...

At the present time it doesn't look like the Daz Loader is going to work with Microsoft OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0).

I would suggest staying with Windows 7 until a work-around for Windows 8 has been found. In any case I am not sure what Windows 8 offers over Windows 7 for most current users. The use for tablet and touch devices has yet to be proven so I would hang-in with Seven for a while.

New devices are going to come with Windows 8 soon so this only really applies to those that want to upgrade to the "latest and greatest". I am yet to be convinced that Eight is going to be any better.