Tuesday, April 24, 2012

ZoneEdit RIP

It would seem that the ZoneEdit website is not even reachable today (first noticed last night after the earlier problems in logging in to make changes).

This does not look good for those that were relying on ZE to configure their websites. Luckily I made the changes to tempusfugit.ca when it was still up and running. The domain is still resolving to the correct IP address:
tempusfugit.ca is still resolving to 184.71.94.1
I am not currently running anything on www.tempusfugit.ca as I have effectively "parked" it. If I had not done this earlier my domain would still resolve to my old IP address. I guess in this event I could have always changed the nameserver settings on my domain registration.

When ZoneEdit was running and I could login I found that the changes to the IP address settings for the A records (@ and www) took a matter of minutes to ripple through to the Internet:

As you can see the NS (Nameserver) records are still specified as the ZoneEdit defaults. If I should change my DNS provider I can change these NS records on the configuration screen for my domain registration.

To preserve anonymity I also changed my contact information with ZoneEdit. This ensures that if they sell their database of users my contact information does not get sold with it. Again, I could not do this if I cannot log-on to the ZoneEdit website.


The ZoneEdit email forwarding is also still working. If this fails I may have to transfer my tempusfugit.ca mail over to a package that my domain registrar offers (I have one of these already for another domain).

Other posts on this blog relating to ZoneEdit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very bad. Zoneedit is now down for over 24hrs