Thursday, June 21, 2012

Acer Customer Service - Chapter 4

I have the computer back from repair.

It arrived at around 11:30am on the day after they closed the case, Thursday. Seeing as I dropped the computer off at the FedEx depot at around 2:30 on the Monday I think that this is a pretty good turn-around. I guess the moral of the story is: Acer are not bad as far as their service, it is the communication with them that is the problem. None of the times that they said they would confirm by email, did they. I did get an email saying that the repair had been made and to expect another email with a Shipper and Tracking Number. That never came.

To monitor the progress of your repair it is essential to use the on-line status tool and not rely on them keeping you informed by the promised emails.

They replaced the HDD and the memory.

I had to remove all of the "trial-ware" that the computer came with originally. McAfee was the most problematic as is started "squawking" at me as soon as I switched the computer on. The un-install using the Windows "Programs and Features" method took a while and left me with the impression that the McAfee un-install program was in some way flawed and caused a corruption of some of the files that led to a CHKDSK needing to be run. Still, this seemed to be a one-off although I am keeping the computer under a watchful eye until I don't see the CHKDSK going on again.

1 comment:

John said...

It is nice to hear some positive comments about Acer. All too often all you can find on the Internet are all the horror stories.

You get what you pay for when you buy Acer. You don't pay a lot so you can't really expect stellar service. However, I think that your experience with them shows that they can deliver, albeit with a little to be asked for in the communication department.

Can I ask if you got the cost of shipping refunded. This is another thing that is not clear on the Acer website.