Monday, February 16, 2015

Carbanak - Russian Gang steals $1B from banks

I am amused by the stories that the BBC picks up on a "slow news day".

This morning I awoke to a story on Kaspersky saying the banks worldwide have been targeted by a gang that they have called Carbanak.

I may be wrong but this seems than more than a little self-serving and a promotion for their services and a report that is due for release today.

After all, Kaspersky are in the business in selling software to protect the "computing public" from such attacks.

A quote from the BBC News article:
The gang, which Kaspersky dubbed Carbanak, used computer viruses to infect company networks with malware including video surveillance, enabling it to see and record everything that happened on staff's screens.

There are lots of nice diagrams in the Kaspersky report, but I find it strange that I was hard pressed to find out more information on this gang. As I say, I could be wrong and this story may have "legs".

In any case it may be a good idea to check you bank balances and look for anything suspicious. But, we all do that in anyway????

No comments: