Friday, December 16, 2016

If I were designing the Google Algorithm

Much has been debated around this issue. As a website owner I am not really interested in building a high ranking in search engine result lists. While it is an interest of mine if it from the academic perspective as there is no business reason for my site.

The study of how websites rank has been an ongoing interest. I have recently been asked for advice on how out-rank a website that is posting exaggerated stories about them and they want to stop their name coming up with this persons site when someone that may be interested in doing business with them makes a search. The basis of this request was made on the statement and question on how I get my sites to rank as well as they do. While I am not sure that this is the case, I am in the process of collecting my thoughts on what I would do if I were Google and I  wanted to provide the best user experience for those making a search.

My interpretation of what a "good experience" is when making a search is vastly different, I would think, to that of Google. I am of the opinion that you search to get information, Google on the other hand probably want you to find things to buy.

There are a few things that I have observed over the years and while I do not pretend to have any inside knowledge on how Google does things, I think that whatever I am doing seems to work.

No comments: