Thursday, August 3, 2017

Lauri Love and Gary McKinnon

This was brought back to my attention by an article in the Telegraph magazine last weekend.

I had posted on this extensively on my website and on this blog, but so far there seemed to be no interest in my views. I think that this is an indication that "The Masses" and indeed the Media don't really have a clue to what it is all about.

I have been interested in all this for a while now and it was the focus of most of my posting over the last couple of years. The fact that Lauri also hails from Stradishall Suffolk has also not gone unnoticed by me. I find it particularly interesting that the Asperger syndrome aspect seems to play a role here. I do think that there is more than a touch of the Americans looking for a Scapegoat in their ineffectual efforts to come to terms with hackers and hacking.

Lauri has long been the "go-to guy" when it comes to the media wanting a spokesperson to explain the goings-on when it comes to cyber-attacks. He was there when the NHS was hit by the WannaCry attack. I find it rather ironic that Marcus Hutchins, the guy that reportedly put the brakes on Wannacry, was arrested after attending  DEFCON. Lauri would have suffered the same fate if he ventured into the States, he says that he would commit suicide rather than let that happen!

As I suggested the US are looking for Scapegoats. Blaming their ills on foreigners is the pattern we see over and over again. Home-grown hackers and criminals are more likely to be given jobs with a government institution on the strength that they are the "experts" in the field and better that they are "working for us" as opposed to against us. The foreign element ranges from "back-room" hackers such as Lauri Love to Nation States such as Russia and the Koreans. All these can be vilified with impunity as they, in large part, cannot be held to accout.

No comments: